Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Acknowledging the Pain and Doing it Anyway...


Today I spoke with a dear friend and business partner. (She knows who she is!) She shared with me that she really wanted to write a blog about her weight loss progress, but was too embarrassed to share her weight. I know where she's coming from. I remember not stepping on the scale for years because I didn't want to know! I guess that was my form of denial.

It's interesting how much of our self esteem is tied to our appearance. I knew in my mind I was a worthwhile person, I knew that God loved me, I know that I was blessed to have so many wonderful friends and a loving family, but somehow, carrying those extra pounds, made me feel inferior in some way. It made me feel very much out of control. I always had a cheery exterior, but inside I was suffering.

When I chose to make my weight loss journey public, I had to really think about what the ramifications would be. All my friends would have the ability to access this very personal part of my life. Oh my gosh! What if my high school pals came across this? What about my extended family? Strangers? Confessing my weight to my sisters was like going to confession; Forgive me, for I have sinned. I got fat.

Then I started to think about how I regard people that weigh more than me. Did I dislike them? No. Did I make fun of them or belittle them? Absolutely not. I didn't have two groups of friends; skinny friends and fat friends, I just had friends.

I decided to not let fear rule this part of my life. As a result, I've been blessed! I have the support of my friends and strangers who continue to encourage me. In a million years, I never would have thought my business partners would support me in this way. I also never could have imagined the positive impact that this blog would have on others.

There is something to be said about public accountability. I honestly believe that this change wouldn't have happened if I wasn't sharing the details of this process with others. What I have found, is that it's actually very liberating! At times it's even exhilarating! When you are embarrassed or afraid about something you usually want to hide. Because I have chosen not to hide behind this fat anymore, I'm no longer embarrassed or afraid. I'm very much at peace with myself. I am enjoying the journey.

So, my advice? Let me support you. Let others support you. Just like when people go up to speak in front of a room, the audience always wants them to do well. Your audience will want your success, too.

Blessings!

Susan

P.S. The people in the photo are me, my son and two of the most wonderful people on the planet who "adopted" me and my son as their own, David and Linda Hanson. Not only do they support me in my weight loss quest, they joined me in business. How lovely is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment